Course in Advanced Statistics 2014
03.11.2014 - 07.11.2014
Our annual course in Advanced statistics will be held November 4-7 and is given by David Stephenson and Theodoros Economou, University of Exeter. The course will be held at Geophysical Institute, University of Bergen.
This is a 4-day intensive course on statistical modelling concepts for climate scientists. Since it is impossible in such a short course to go into any great depth, this course aims instead to convey the fundamental modelling concepts in statistics and an understanding and ability of how to use them correctly to interpret climate data. The course will consist of nine 1-hour lectures and 8 hours of hands-on computer sessions.
- Deeper appreciation of statistical modelling
- Awareness of some relevant areas of advanced statistics
- Ability to apply methods intelligently using the R statistics language
Tuesday 4. Nov:
10:00-11:00 1. Exploratory Data Analysis -
13:15-14:15 2. Probability - HellandHansen meeting room
Wednesday 5. Nov: 10:00-11:00 3. Statistical Modelling - Auditorium
13:15-14:15 4. Statistical Inference - Auditorium
Thursday 6. Nov: 10:00-11:00 5. Multivariate Statistics - HellandHansen meeting room
13.15-14:15 6. Spatial Statistics - Auditorium
Friday 7. Nov: 10:00-11:00 7. Time series modelling - Helland Hansen meeting room
13:15-14:15 8. Extreme value modelling - Auditorium
All practical sessions will be at the G-lab Tuesday - Friday 11:15 - 12:15 and 14:15 - 15:30.
- R Language (free download, documentation, etc.) www.r-project.org
- Lecture notes on basic statistical concepts: http://secamlocal.ex.ac.uk/people/staff/dbs202/cag/courses/MT37C/course-d.pdf
- Daniel S. Wilks, Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences, 3rd edition
- Faraway, J. (2004) Linear Models with R, Chapman and Hall/CRC, 240pp.
- Draper NR, Smith H. Applied Regression Analysis (3rd edition). New York:Wiley 1998.
- A.C. Davison, Statistical Models, Cambridge University Press 2003.
- M.J. Crawley, Statistics: An Introduction Using R, Wiley and Sons 2005.
- C. Chatfield, The Analysis of Time-series: An Introduction, CRC press, 6th edition 2003.
- C. Chatfield, Time series forecasting, Chapman and Hall/CRC press, 2000.
- P. Bloomfield, Fourier Analysis of Time Series: An Introduction (Wiley Series in Probability & Statistics), 2000.
- S. Coles, An Introdution to Statistical Modelling of Extreme Values, 224 pages, Springer, 2001.
Registration form is found below. Registration deadline is October 17th.
Login to join Share on Facebook...